[asterisk-users] Newbie questions about Voice mail

bdk at unb.ca bdk at unb.ca
Sun Nov 5 13:43:32 MST 2006

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006, Dean Collins wrote:

> Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 15:21:19 -0500
> From: Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net>
> To: bdk at unb.ca
>     <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
> Subject: RE: [asterisk-users] Newbie questions about Voice mail
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> Uhmmm as it appears you are using a centrex service from your telco
> (your comment about not having any pabx)

yes.

> I need to ask this question......are you sure that under your current
> commercial arrangements you are actually allowed to continue to use the
> telco as your centrex provider but not use them for your voicemail?

Voice mail is a separately billed service that some lines have and some
don't. We pay $0.06 per minute to use it. Its  cash cow for the telco and
a big bill for us.

> Also if you decided to use a separate asterisk server for your voicemail
> service how would calls be transferred to this number?

I am assuming there is a feature to transfer a call when the phoen does
not ring after a certain number of rings. But I don't thing I know to
handle getting voice mail if the line is busy.

> Would the carrier allow you to host and asterisk service off some of
> your existing centrex extensions? Would this incur a cost or similar.

I am sure there would be a cost whatever we had them do.
I was hoping to go a little further if possible to install a server and
a t1 circuit with enough capacity to handle the load.

> I think for your bosses 'discovery' report the answer would be
>
> Yes to can asterisk be used as just a voicemail server
> Yes to people can operate with the same methods of retrieval they
> currently do
> Yes to people can also retrieve via additional methods such as web or
> email
> And finally yes this will save us money in the longer term at 6c per
> minute currently.
>

> The next step should be
> 1a/ You boss decides You or someone in your team skill up in asterisk
> Or

Does the asterisk communitty have a presence at any of the IP telephony
conference?

......Brian