[asterisk-users] is IAX required for firewall and router?

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 22:49:33 MST 2006

I'm trying to understand IAX and whether or not it would solve my
difficulties:

'The primary goals for IAX were to minimize bandwidth used in media
transmissions, with particular attention drawn to control and individual
voice calls, and to provide native support for NAT (Network Address
Translation) transparency. Another goal is to be easy to use behind
firewalls.'

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAX>

This sounds good, as I have a NAT traversal problem, as well as others.

I'm not the system admin for my network, and am behind a router and
firewall.  Skype works ok as a softphone, but I'd rather something like
<http://www.grandstream.com/y-286.htm> with which I can use a real
telephone.  Either an ATA or a SIP phone, I'm not sure yet.

In any event, there's no point in buying the hardware until I get the
networking sorted.  Somehow I need to TUNNEL throught the router and
firewall?  I was looking at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN> as one way
of doing this.

The Grandstream FAQ explains how to do this:

'5. How do I setup my Grandstream Phone for go2call network?
typical configuration is:
SIP Server: voip01.go2call.com
Outbound proxy: (Should leave it blank, because it's a GW)
User ID: xxxxx (your Go2Call PIN number)
Authentication ID: same as your User ID
Password: xxxxxxx (Your Go2Call password)
NAT Traversal: YES (WITHOUT setting the STUN server)
6. How do I setup my Grandstream Phone for FWD service?
typical configuration is:
SIP Server: fwd.pulver.com
outbound proxy: 192.246.69.247:5082 (used only when behind firewall, otherwise
leave it blank)
User ID: xxxxxx (your FWD account number)
Authentication/Login ID: xxxxx (same as above, your FWD account number)
Password: xxxxx (your FWD password)
NAT Traversal: No (You need to set up your STUN server if you don't have outbound
proxy)'

<http://www.grandstream.com/FAQ.pdf>

However, most everything I read on the subject starts with the assumption
that there's physical and administrative access to the router.  Neither of
those hold for me :(

I would like to set this up prior to purchasing the hardware, but I don't
even know that it's possible.  Again, I don't have physical access to the
router, so the ATA would have to connect through the computer, which
connects to the router.  It's not possible to directly connect any
hardware to the router.  No, it's not possible to use a switch.

thanks,

Thufir