[asterisk-users] ZAPtel channel dance

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Nov 2 20:34:43 MST 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 04:20:39PM -0500, Bob Chiodini wrote:

> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> >On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 06:34:03AM -0500, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> >
> >>For Redhat, Fedora, CentOS and other derivatives:
> >>
> >>You can play tricks in /etc/modprobe.conf using the "install" directive.
> >>The man page for modprobe.conf gives an example.
> >>

> >This is not the proper place: those are not real dependencies. You may
> >actually want to load those modules separately one day.
> >

> Probably not, but from what I've seen on some of the Fedora lists it's
> preferred over the rc.modules hack to force module loading.

The thing is that those modules are logically separate. Those modules
are not logically tied up and must be loaded in a certain order. If,
say, the module wctdm lacked a dependency on zaptel, you should have
fixed it through a install rule.

(Not to mention that it will break the simple and robust hardware
detection procedure I already have, which makes this whole thread a bit
irrelevant)

> >>You could also force their loading and presumably their order in initrd
> >>or rc.modules which runs as part of rc.sysinit.
> >>

> >Hmmm... sounds nice, however the text I read there is:
> >
> >  # Load modules (for backward compatibility with VARs)
> >  if [ -f /etc/rc.modules ]; then
> >      /etc/rc.modules
> >  fi
> >
> >Is it guranateed to remain there?
> >
> rc.modules has been there a long time... Whether it will stay, who
> knows. I have not seen anything about deprecation and it should not get
> touched by any upgrades.

Anyway, even if there is such a script, I can't assume anything on what
it does if I want to patch it when detecting hardware...

> >>rc.modules is the cleanest approach (IMHO), as initrd gets rebuilt by
> >>some updates (e.g. kernel).
> >>

> >And can't easily be re-run.
> >

> Given Florian's latest post the problem seems to lie in the zaptel
> modules' build and/or install mechanisms.
>
> I have not dug into the Makefiles, but I would think the result of
> genmodconf and zaptel.sysconfig should be consistent.

IMHO they are both sub-optimal. No need to try all of the Zaptel modules
at each time. All of the Zaptel drivers[1] will load with hotplug in case
you install new hardware in the future. Manual loading is really only
needed for the case of more than one module.

Attempting to re-implement hotplug badly is not a good idea.

[1] Actually: not all: qozap and probably others from bristuff won't.
But those in the main Zaptel distribution will.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com