[asterisk-users] ZAPtel channel dance

Bob Chiodini bchiodini at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 14:20:39 MST 2006

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 06:34:03AM -0500, Bob Chiodini wrote:
>
>> For Redhat, Fedora, CentOS and other derivatives:
>>
>> You can play tricks in /etc/modprobe.conf using the "install" directive.
>> The man page for modprobe.conf gives an example.
>>

> This is not the proper place: those are not real dependencies. You may
> actually want to load those modules separately one day.

Probably not, but from what I've seen on some of the Fedora lists it's
preferred over the rc.modules hack to force module loading.
>> You could also force their loading and presumably their order in initrd
>> or rc.modules which runs as part of rc.sysinit.
>>

> Hmmm... sounds nice, however the text I read there is:
>
>   # Load modules (for backward compatibility with VARs)
>   if [ -f /etc/rc.modules ]; then
>       /etc/rc.modules
>   fi
>
> Is it guranateed to remain there?

rc.modules has been there a long time... Whether it will stay, who
knows. I have not seen anything about deprecation and it should not get
touched by any upgrades.

>> rc.modules is the cleanest approach (IMHO), as initrd gets rebuilt by
>> some updates (e.g. kernel).
>>

> And can't easily be re-run.

Given Florian's latest post the problem seems to lie in the zaptel
modules' build and/or install mechanisms.

I have not dug into the Makefiles, but I would think the result of
genmodconf and zaptel.sysconfig should be consistent.

Bob...