[asterisk-users] Asterisk architecture

jezzzz . jezonthenet at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 17:23:55 MST 2006

Thanks for your response. I'm looking specifically at
Asterisk in a SIP-only implementation. So no need for
Asterisk to transfer calls between PSTN and SIP. Is
there in such a case still a need for a PBX/Asterisk?
>From what I understand, as long as two users know
eachother's IP addresses there's no need for Asterisk,
is this correct? I'm talking here about a pure SIP
implementation.

so if you have u1 and u2 and they simply wish to
communicate and they have eachother's IP, do they need
Asterisk for something?

Also, in a pure SIP implementation, what does Asterisk
offer and what is Asterisk required for?

Thanks

Jez