[asterisk-users] Re: VOIP Bandwidth questions

mail-lists mail-lists at peachnet.com
Thu Nov 2 12:32:33 MST 2006

Martin Joseph wrote:
> On 2006-11-02 07:34:15 -0800, mail-lists <mail-lists at peachnet.com> said:
> <snip>
>> My question is this: How do huge voip companies like vonage handle
>> bandwidth. I'm pretty sure that they have to have sufficient
>> bandwidth available for X numbers of simultaneous calls, in other
>> words ALL VOIP traffic runs through their servers, right? My boss is
>> of the mind that there is no way that this is a viable business model
>> and his insistence has me doubting myself.<snip>
>

> Also,  it's not true that all the traffic need to flow through there
> servers.  Once the connections are setup in a well designed system,
> the data could flow directly.

I'm not sure what you mean here. What connections? If they're
terminating to the PSTN Either they're paying someone to do it or
they're doing it themselves right? If they're doing it themselves they
have to handle the bandwidth requirements. As I said before - if both
endpoints are on vonage  the data might go from device to device