[asterisk-users] Re: VOIP Bandwidth questions

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Thu Nov 2 10:49:00 MST 2006

On 2006-11-02 07:34:15 -0800, mail-lists <mail-lists at peachnet.com> said:
<snip>
> My question is this: How do huge voip companies like vonage handle
> bandwidth. I'm pretty sure that they have to have sufficient bandwidth
> available for X numbers of simultaneous calls, in other words ALL VOIP
> traffic runs through their servers, right? My boss is of the mind that
> there is no way that this is a viable business model and his insistence
> has me doubting myself.<snip>

For one thing, I suppose they use codecs that compress the voice data
as much as possible.  Probably g729, or ilbc or some such.

Also,  it's not true that all the traffic need to flow through there
servers.  Once the connections are setup in a well designed system, the
data could flow directly.

Marty