[asterisk-users] Asterisk architecure

jezzzz . jezonthenet at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 09:42:25 MST 2006

Guillaume, merci beaucoup - thanks a lot.

The links were very useful, especially tech-inivite,
the owner of the site did a great job. I got three
books last night as well: Asterisk, Understanding SIP
(Alan Johnston) and Practical VOIP Security.

>From the books and the website I can only understand
that Asterisk comes in as a registrar/location server.
In other contexts, such as a p2p environment, I assume
that no proxies are used and no location server is
required either.

So my question is again, where does Asterisk fit in? I
can perhaps see that in an incoming call screening
scenario (as depicted here:
http://www.tech-invite.com/Ti-sip-service-14.html)
Asterisk acts as the announcement server. But in other
cases, such as 'transfer unattended' or 'call
forwarding - busy'
(http://www.tech-invite.com/Ti-sip-service-8.html),
there is no apparent need for Asterisk, is that
correct?

I would tremendously appreciate a little more detail
on scenarios where Asterisk is required/used.

Jez

http://www.eyrolles.com/Informatique/Livre/9780596009625/livre-asterisk.php