[asterisk-users] Re: Newbie Questions

Andrew Latham lathama at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 05:51:28 MST 2006

Ken

If these are older comdials then they are just analog phones with
"extra signaling".  The extra signaling could be on the main twisted
pair (likely) or on the next twisted pair as data (9600 baud modem)
like some of the nortels do.  Always remember that it would cost the
companies a ton to make every system totally closed....

That being said, the entry price for IP phones or ADSI phones can be
much lower than you think.  Find a good consultant in your area, get
an ATA, a TDM card, and an Aastra/SNOM/Polycom/Granstream to play
with.  You can order the Aastra phones from your local electrical
supply company (the place with a long counter and lots of electricians
drinking coffee ordering their parts.).

Andrew