[Asterisk-Users] Zap channels ringing too loudly

Strom Carlson stromcarlson at gmail.com
Wed May 31 13:50:33 MST 2006

On 5/31/06, BJ Weschke <bweschke at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I could be way off here, but I thought FXS ringing was signaled only
> by a change in voltage on the pair, so I'm not sure how zaptel could
> instruct the hardware device to send a different voltage? I think its
> only capability with FXS is to fluctuate the voltage to support
> distinctive rings.

Ring voltage in North America is supposed to be 90vAC at 20Hz.
Assuming these are Western Electric 2500 sets or similar, then a
less-wimpy ring voltage generator could very well make the phones ring
louder.  Fortunately, if these are Western Electric sets, then there
should be a dial marked "LOUD" or "HI" on the underside of the phone.
Turn that to the right to make the bells softer.

--
Strom Carlson
http://www.stromcarlson.com/