[Asterisk-Users] I guess my server capacity is ok

Bruce Reeves asterisk at nortex-networks.com
Wed May 31 12:41:27 MST 2006

I have seen this same type of stats on the list a couple of times now and
wanted to share a thought. I am not a linux expert by any means, but in the
windows world a 100% CPU idle means the percentage of CPU that is currently
ideling. Basicly if I take all the process in the task manager and add up
the percentages it should equal 100 and "System Idle" general takes up the
left overs. Reaing the CPU stats above it looks like 86.2% of the CPU is
currently unused, A good thin in my book. To test my theroy I loaded up an *
server and with no calls there was 100% id the more calls the lower the
number got.

Again just thoughts from a non-linux guru.

On 5/31/06, Goke Aruna <goksie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you...
>
> Steve, I am using it to pass a call from sip gateway to my asterisk server
> and sending the call to the provider thru chan_ss7.
>
> and I have my extension.conf without any timeout and other options.
>
> [general]
> static=yes
> writeprotect=no
> autofallthrough=yes
> clearglobalvars=no
> priorityjumping=no
>
> [globals]
> TRUNKMSD=1                                      ; MSD digits to strip
> (usually 1 or 0)
> PREFIX=444
>
> [default]
> ;;THE GSM NETWORK
> exten => _234XX5XXXXXXX,1,Set(CALLERID(number)=1${PREFIX}${EXTEN:-5:4})
> exten => _234XX5XXXXXXX,2,Dial(ss7/A/0${EXTEN:-10})
>

> exten => _234XX2XXXXXXX,1,Set(CALLERID(number)=1${PREFIX}${EXTEN:-5:4})
> exten => _234XX2XXXXXXX,2,Dial(ss7/B/0${EXTEN:-10})
>
> exten => _2341XXXXXXX,1,Set(CALLERID(number)=${PREFIX}${EXTEN:-5:4})
> exten => _2341XXXXXXX,2,Dial(ss7/C/${EXTEN:-7})
>
> and on my sip.cong I specify only g729.
>
> am I running in pass-thru or transcoding?
>

> from the top I can  see that at no calls at my server
>
> top - 06:15:38 up 1 day,  5:42,  1 user,  load average: 0.72, 0.42, 0.31
> Tasks:  50 total,   2 running,  48 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
> Cpu(s):  5.7% us,  7.0% sy,  0.0% ni, 86.2% id,  1.0% wa,  0.0% hi,  0.0%si
> Mem:   4084360k total,   604348k used,  3480012k free,   128832k buffers
> Swap:  2031608k total,        0k used,  2031608k free,   222688k cached
>
> and I cannot see what is using up my cpu
>

> thank you
>
> goksie
>

> On 5/31/06, Steve Totaro <stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com> wrote:
> >
> > All I know is that it is very processor intensive and either not using
> > it or just passing it through is your best bet.  I will be working alot
> > with G729 in the near future and will post my findings but until then I
> > am just relying on the dimensioning page on the wiki.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steve Totaro
> >
> > Goke Aruna wrote:
> > > Steve,
> > >
> > > Can you please give me an insight on how g729 problem could solved?
> > >
> > > goksie
> > >
> > > On 5/30/06, *Steve Totaro* < stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
> > > <mailto:stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com >> wrote:
> > >
> > >     G729 is your problem.