[Asterisk-Users] Zap channels ringing too loudly

BJ Weschke bweschke at gmail.com
Wed May 31 05:11:14 MST 2006

On 5/31/06, Nick Burch <nick at torchbox.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've got an asterisk system, using a couple of Xorcom Astribanks to
> provide FXS ports. (I'm using the zaptel 1.2 branch, if that matters)
>
> I've noticed that the ringing volume is a lot louder than on our old phone
> system, and people are starting to complain it's too loud. (This is the
> noise the phone makes when it rings, not the noise in your handset when
> you ring someone else)
>

> Having had a look through the code, I think that Asterisk passes the
> responsibility for ringing the phones to Zaptel, which drives the
> astribank to make them ring. Is this correct?
>
> Despite looking through the zaptel source code, I couldn't find anywhere
> that screamed "I'm the volume your phones ring at". Just a lot of scary
> numbers in zonedata.c, and cryptic comments in tone_zone.h
>

> Could someone suggest how I'd go about making the zap ring volume quieter?

 I could be way off here, but I thought FXS ringing was signaled only
by a change in voltage on the pair, so I'm not sure how zaptel could
instruct the hardware device to send a different voltage? I think its
only capability with FXS is to fluctuate the voltage to support
distinctive rings.

--
Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
http://www.btwtech.com/