[Asterisk-Users] Zap channels ringing too loudly

Nick Burch nick at torchbox.com
Wed May 31 04:58:55 MST 2006

Hi All

I've got an asterisk system, using a couple of Xorcom Astribanks to
provide FXS ports. (I'm using the zaptel 1.2 branch, if that matters)

I've noticed that the ringing volume is a lot louder than on our old phone
system, and people are starting to complain it's too loud. (This is the
noise the phone makes when it rings, not the noise in your handset when
you ring someone else)

Having had a look through the code, I think that Asterisk passes the
responsibility for ringing the phones to Zaptel, which drives the
astribank to make them ring. Is this correct?

Despite looking through the zaptel source code, I couldn't find anywhere
that screamed "I'm the volume your phones ring at". Just a lot of scary
numbers in zonedata.c, and cryptic comments in tone_zone.h

Could someone suggest how I'd go about making the zap ring volume quieter?

Thanks
Nick