[Asterisk-Users] Handset recommendations

Bruce Reeves asterisk at nortex-networks.com
Tue May 30 20:56:25 MST 2006

I've used both an 480i and a Linksys SPA-942, both worked well with
Asterisk. If I were doing a small office deployment I would probably go with
the Linksys. The 480i is not quite as impressive sitting on next to the
Linksys. Actually if your budget supports it get one of each and try them
out. I tried out several from the Cisco 7960, Polycoms and then a UTstarcom
F1000. My big concern on the Cisco is that there is a license that Cisco
requires that any Cisco partnet I had quote phones had to add $130 dollars
to the already higher price. I know you can by them without the license, but
nobody could, including our Cisco rep, could tell me we were not in
violation of something by not having the license or why we had to have it.
Hope that helps.

On 5/30/06, George A. Roberts IV <groberts at interjuncture.com> wrote:

> Zac,
>
> What am I getting for the extra $150+ were I to go with the 7960 compared
> the SPA-942?  There's a fairly big price difference between the two.  I'm
> sure the Ciscos are probably much better, but from what I've been reading
> the SPA-942s are very nice.
>
> Plus I'm not sure if I want to spend $300+ for a desk phone when I can get
> the 480i CT for under $300 and get both a desk phone and a cordless
> handset
> as well.
>
> George

Bruce