[Asterisk-Users] Snom firmwares suck <--additional datapoint to consider

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Fri May 26 07:11:54 MST 2006

>More cowbell?

Shit, you owe me a new keyboard! Funniest thing I've *ever* read on the
list.

I've experienced the auto-negotiate issue with Snom's before. I forgot to
mention that we make it part of our standard install to force 100baseT-full.
I've also noticed the Catalyst does the spanning-tree thing and waits up to
30 seconds before  enabling the port - this can cause problems with Snoms
because they boot before the Catalyst enables the port, causing registration
to fail. Then you warm-boot the Snom and everything's OK.

One last interesting tidbit: We have a *lot* of Dell Dimensions with super
craptastic embedded Ethernet. They will auto negotiate with a Snom (plugged
into the PC port) to 100baseT full, but then you can't ping or TX past the
phone itself. Oddly enough, it gets an IP from our DHCP server OK. Forcing
the Dell to 100baseT full, half, or even 10 full works 100% of the time.
This never happens on any kind of decent Ethernet card like an 82557 chip or
3com. If we have an Optiplex, it *just works*