[Asterisk-Users] RE: SIP TAPI

Clint Sharp clint at kirkhamsystems.com
Wed May 24 11:36:25 MST 2006

Yeah, that sounds about right.  I can see advantages and disadvantages
to both.  The main advantage I see to AstTapi besides signaling incoming
calls (which I haven't tested on my modified code, I guess I should work
on that) is that once you've setup a user in the Asterisk Management
interface and modified your dial plan accordingly, you're done, you
don't have to add new entries for every instance of AstTapi.  That would
be a burden I'd think in a larger installation of SIPTapi with Asterisk.

The nice advantage also to AstTapi is that signaling is ongoing while
the call is in progress, so you can end the call from the TAPI
application.  This is a real boon in real CTI setups for callcenters
where the phones might be set to autoanswer incoming calls on a headset,
display information, and the user ends the call.

Seems like there should be a simpler way to do an TAPI interface with
the Asterisk management interface w/o a bunch of UserEvents though.  I
think I'll look into that, because it'd be nice if all you had to do was
add the user to the manager.conf and be done.  I know I could probably
do that on outbound calls, incoming calls might be a little more
difficult.  It could probably be done with some assumptions about
extension length, etc.  Sorry, just thinking aloud, but that's probably
where it should go from here.

Clint