[Asterisk-Users] Are my expectations too high?

Cosmin Prund cosmin at adicomsoft.ro
Tue May 23 11:54:42 MST 2006

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> Regarding echo tail: Asterisk's default software echo cancellation is only
> 32ms at maximum.  You can blow this number up to 128ms (where the hardware
> echo cancellers sit at), but it costs more in CPU time and memory, and I
> think that Digium left it at 32ms as a compromise.  I'm not sure.

Is there a known "hack" or patch to blow Asterisk's echo canceler up to
128ms? Or at least 64 ms?

I do understand this would not work for medium/large Asterisk servers
but my small-home-office server can't possibly go over two simultaneous
echo-canceled calls because that's the number of POTS lines I've got! My
CPU is almost IDLE with two simultaneous SIP-to-POTS calls - I see that
as waisted resources :-)