[Asterisk-Users] Are my expectations too high?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue May 23 10:28:44 MST 2006

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 12:03, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> The software approach is great in theory, but the hardware echo canceler
> "just works", without configuring anything - in my experience, anyway.

Well, as I said the hardware echo cans are generally tested to comply with
bellcore standards for echo cancellation, which is something that the
software echo cans in Asterisk fail at (miserably, from what I've heard).
It's not that it can't be done, but just rather that it hasn't been a
priority for those who are smart enough to code these things.

> I'm curious though: did you find that the software approach totally
> eliminated echo in typical situations?

I've always found one or two corner cases that fail with software echo
cancellation, but by and large I am confident to say that less than 1% of our
calls have any kind of echo.  We are on a PRI and the telco definitely does
NOT have echo cans on our span.

-A.