[Asterisk-Users] Are my expectations too high?

Andrew D Kirch trelane at trelane.net
Tue May 23 06:16:00 MST 2006

Derek Lee-Wo wrote:
>> Get an FXO card with hardware echo cancellation. I use the Sangoma
>> A20002D (four FXO ports with echo cancellation). It definitely costs
>> more, but the hardware echo cancellation makes a huge difference in call
>> quality! Software echo cancellation doesn't really work...
>
> With this card, would you say your audio quality is identical to that
> of an analog phone connected directly to the PSTN?  I'm trying to
> understand if I should expect "some" audio degradation when going
> through Asterisk.
Everything causes degredation.  Yes the card is a codec so it will not
be "perfect".
Many modern telephones are also codecs.  The question you're trying to
ask is is this
degradation noticeable?  The answer to that is obviously no.  There is
an application out
there that might benefit you in a situation like this.  Go look through
your zaptel source
tree for "fxotune" and see if it cant possibly correct some of the
problem you're having.
After you've tried that I'd suggest posting a .wav file of exactly what
you're hearing (there are
recording functions in asterisk) and maybe someone that's heard the
degredation you're hearing
before will reply.

Andrew