[Asterisk-Users] Experience with IBM X346 machines and Sangoma

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri May 19 11:55:36 MST 2006

Cosmin Prund wrote:
> I wanted to see where those periodical spikes are coming from so I
> started shutting things down. The first thing to go was Asterisk. Next
> went many different things like mysql and ntpd. Finally I killed zaptel
> (/etc/init.d/zaptel stop) - and the spiking stoped!
>
> Next I rebooted and I've done "/etc/init.d/zaptel stop" straight away.
> The spiking stoped again. I've done "/etc/init.d/zaptel start" and
> spiking started again!
>
> Is there something funny happening with my "zaptel"?
> Wolfgang Zweimueller, can you give this a try too? Does your "spiking"
> stop when you stop zaptel?

There have been multiple threads over the last two years about the exact
same 'vmstat 1' results, and no one has ever come up with a logical
explanation as to why it occurs.

Of the several (probably hundreds) of posts in the past, it does not
seem to be a linux distro issue, and stopping zaptel always removes the
symptom.

It seems the majority of folks that were involved with this in the past
'assumed' the results were what was impacting fax through the TDM400.
But, don't think anyone proved that.

No other guesses at this time.

R.