[Asterisk-Users] PRI dialing IVR with inband DTMF

Anthony Cennami acennami at gmail.com
Fri May 19 11:26:46 MST 2006

Two situations:

Shoretel Phone --> ShoreTel --> PRI --> Asterisk --> Softswitch -->
VoIP/PSTN  -- This situation does NOT work.  User hears audio, but Asterisk
does not appear to process DTMF.  Note, this is ONLY on IVR applications
where we are not getting 200/connect passed through even though we're
hearing IVR audio (early media)

Second situation:

IP Phone --> Asterisk --> Softswitch --> VoIP/PSTN -- Works as expected.
You can dial the IVR and still send DTMF.

It seems like there are some early media problems when routing traffic
through the PRI.

On 5/19/06, Alexander Lopez <Alex.Lopez at opsys.com> wrote:

>  Is it Phone -> ShoreTel -> Asterisk -> PSTN ???

> *Subject:* Re: [Asterisk-Users] PRI dialing IVR with inband DTMF
>

> Well the communication between the Asterisk and Shoretel is ISDN PRI.  If
> a station on the Shoretel calls a regular number (company auto-attendant,
> cellphone voicemail, etc) and that number "ANSWERS" then there do not appear
> to be any problems with DTMF.
>
> When a station dials an IVR which does not "ANSWER" but does Early Media,
> that stations DTMF is not being received by the PRI.  My understanding is
> that this should typically be handled over the D channel, but in a number of
> test calls I discovered that all DTMF is being sent Inband from Shoretel
> over the PRI.
>

>  On 5/19/06, *Doug* <Doug at natel.net> wrote:
>
> At 12:06 5/19/2006, Anthony Cennami wrote:
> >I have a client who is using a Shoretel PBX.  This PBX apparently
> >does not send DTMF information OOB, but instead sends this inband
> >via the B-channel.
> >
> >This is traversing an Asterisk box via a PRI.  The user calls the
> >IVR (1-800-CALL-DHL), receives audio, but is not able to present
> >DTMF to engage the IVR.  With some light research it appears that
> >the DSP is not activating until the call is answered.
> >
> >DTMF on the SIP side is set to RFC2833 -- calls all work fine when
> >originating from a SIP phone connected to the same device.
> >
> >Any suggestions on what needs to be done to pre-emptively enable DSP
> >and or early media on the PRI (outbound)??
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Anthony
> >
> >---SIP---->Asterisk----PRI---->Shoretel
>
> Hey Anthony,
>
> I don't know if this will help you but, we had
> a hard time getting touchtones (DTMF) to work until
> we set both ends to "INFO" (sometimes called "SIP Info")
>
> RFC2833, Inband, Auto, etc. did not work.
>

> --
> Anthony D Cennami

Anthony D Cennami