[Asterisk-Users] Multiple Registers

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Tue May 16 13:00:37 MST 2006

Hi bp -

> Does anyone know how to limit the amount of registrations that a sip user
> can have?
>
> For example, I have 2 softphones that I use on my laptop & desktop, both use
> the same username & password. If I have both softphones up at the same time,
> I can make simultaneous calls with each of them.
>
> I know you can have call-limit=1 but in this case, I want to allow them to
> have 3 way calling but only from one sip device.

Are you using SER or some other SIP proxy or an experimental branch of
the sip code?  Unless something has changed recently (and it may have
as Olle has really been working on new SIP stuff), a SIP user can have
only one registration.  You can register from multiple devices, but
only the one that has most recently registered will receive calls.
Put another way, when the second device registers it will unregister
the first device.

If it fits in with your plans you may want to give the softphones
different SIP usernames, and just have the dialplan ring them at the
same extension.  E.G:

exten => 100,1,Dial(SIP/FIRST-DEVICE&SIP/SECOND-DEVICE)

- Noah