[Asterisk-Users] PSTN Incoming call on real line disrupts VoIPcall over DSL circuit - EXPLAINED

Hadar Pedhazur hadar at unorthodox.com
Tue May 9 13:05:10 MST 2006

Once again, combining multiple responses. I have a suspicion
that this might be bad netiquette, but I hope no one minds
too much (just tell me if it is, and I'll stop!).

Alexander Lopez wrote:
 > After reading this post, I feel that the problem is,
 > a. Bad Westell, b. Bad loop.

 > Bell will run a loop test from the DSLAM 'out' to your
 > site. While they are doing this, call from another phone
 > to make sure the test fails, or shows what the problem is.

Good idea (specifically the part of calling while they are
testing!).

/-------DSL-MODEM-----HT-----PC
 >                                            H|                      |
 >                                   +----------+
Inet-PHONE

\------------------------------

 >                                                     answering
 > POTS
 >                                                     machine
 > phone

 > (maybe you have to reformat it into COURIER font)

 > It's depending on the calling in your father`s flat but on
 > the incoming line you should have only _ONE_ device, the
 > SPLITTER !!!

Thanks Juergen. Now I see where we were miscommuncating.
It's typical in the US to have many phone jacks in one
house/apt all connected to the same number. So, while the
DSL and one phone are connected to one of the jacks
_exactly_ as in your diagram above, there are other phones
in other rooms, connected directly to the wall jack, and I
was under the impression that they need separate filters.

Alexander Lopez wrote:
 > BellSouth will provide Static IPs for home users, staring
 > with the Extreme product. (3MBit) and up.  No extra charge
 > for this, included in the package.

Cool. Good to know!

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
 > If the PPPoE session were interrupted all audio would
 > stop.  This is not the case.

That's exactly what I thought as well, but I had no other
explanation for the effect that I am seeing.

 > We need to see packet dumps on both the transmitting side
 > (just before the DSL modem) and on the receiving side (far
 > end Asterisk box).  I'm guessing that there is something
 > funny with the ATA or DSL modem, but I'm dumbfounded as to
 > a solution.

If that's straightforward to set up, I'm game to try it (I
have no idea what I would need to do, and if it has to be on
my Dad's PC as well, it will be a lot tougher to get it
going ;-).

Anyway, my Dad was game to call Bellsouth. Whenever he gets
them, and gets an answer (if there is one), I'll report back
for completeness sake.

Thanks again to everyone!