[Asterisk-Users] PSTN Incoming call on real line disrupts VoIPcall over DSL circuit - EXPLAINED

Alexander Lopez Alex.Lopez at OpSys.com
Tue May 9 11:38:42 MST 2006

DSL works by using the frequencies above 4k that were unused in POTS loops of yesterday. Load Coils, Bridge Taps, and DC taps are all devices added to lines to increase their reach and stability, unfortunately, they are DEADLY for DSL. Other problems can effect DSL service, and cause it to be 'flaky'.

1	Temperature, in Florida the large black cables are constantly beaten down by the sun, if the temperature change is gradual, the DSL modem, (Modulator/ Demodulator) can quickly and quietly 're-train' the line for the changes. Rapid changes may cause the carrier to drop, (IE rain storm, cools off the cable quickly and changes the resistance on the loop)

2	Shorts or grounds, When the line 'rings' it sends voltage down the line if there is a short, or a ground open somewhere it changes the properties on the line causing havoc with the line.

After reading this post, I feel that the problem is, a. Bad Westell, b. Bad loop.

Bell will run a loop test from the DSLAM 'out' to your site. While they are doing this, call from another phone to make sure the test fails, or shows what the problem is.