[Asterisk-Users] MySQL replication for voicemail

Josh McAllister josh at singletouch.net
Mon May 8 10:11:34 MST 2006

Another approach you may want to consider for data redundancy that does
not rely on MySQL's finicky replication stuff is DRBD. Think of it as
RAID-1 across Ethernet. I have used it in production on some VERY busy
(> 1200 qps) MySQL servers for a couple years with no problems. Another
nice side effect is a relatively simple means of doing a total point in
time "cold" backup of all you DB's without regard to the db engine(s)
your using and minimal down time. If you can afford ~ 1 minute/day of
downtime... stop MySQL, break DRBD replication, restart mysql, mount
data on the rep. slave, backup data files, unmount, restart replication.
DRBD tracks the deltas so it will catch up quickly, and that entire
process can be automated.

Anyways, if you're interested, check our http://drbd.org. Please make
sure you fully understand what it's doing before using it in production
though. A lack of understanding can lead to nasty things like
replicating the wrong way.

Note, that this can be used as a very simple means of providing warm
standby * servers as well. Coupled with something like mon, you can
provide for automatic failover as well.

Josh McAllister