[Asterisk-Users] iax2: dropping too many packets

yusuf yusuf at ecntelecoms.com
Mon May 8 00:05:04 MST 2006

i all,

I need help on a trunk between two Asterisk servers. They sitting at different branches, so they
connected via a leased line WAN.  Calls originate from users at Branch A then go IAX to users at
Branch B.

at branch A the call sounds absolutly fine, but at branch B there are a few missed words
 From what I can see too many packets are getting dropped at Branch B.

output from Branch A:
iax2 show netstats
                     -------- LOCAL ---------------------  -------- REMOTE --------------------
Channel             RTT  Jit  Del  Lost  %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts  Jit  Del  Lost   %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts
IAX2/iaxA-16384     12   54   98    15   1     0    0      5  141  215  2664  33     0    0      5

output from Branch B:
  iax2 show netstats
                     -------- LOCAL ---------------------  -------- REMOTE --------------------
Channel             RTT  Jit  Del  Lost   %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts  Jit  Del  Lost   %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts

IAX2/iaxB:4569-       8  141  198   907  33     0    1      0   52   98    12   0     0    0      1

iax.conf at Branch A:

[iaxA]
type=peer
host=10.65.138.101
secret=iax
;qualify=yes
disallow=all
allow=g723
trunk=yes
jitterbuffer=yes
forcejitterbuffer=yes
maxjitterbuffer=50
maxjitterinterps=10
resyncthreshold=50
trunktimestamps=yes

iax.conf at Branch B

[iaxA]
type=user
context=iax
secret=iax
disallow=all
allow=g723
permit=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
trunk=yes
jitterbuffer=yes
forcejitterbuffer=yes
maxjitterbuffer=150
maxjitterinterps=100
resyncthreshold=50
trunktimestamps=yes

why is soo many packets getting dropped at Branch B.  the network traceroutes are same from both
sides.  Am i doing something wrong in asterisk.  Is linux maybe dropping packets.  I really
appreciate any forthcoming comments/suggestions.

thanks,
yusuf