[Asterisk-Users] why a perfectly fine iax2 host becomes UNREACHABLE?

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Fri May 5 05:47:29 MST 2006

Tom Engleward wrote:
> --- "Eric \"ManxPower\" Wieling" <eric at fnords.org>
>> never
>>> "Never" meaning until the next "reload" command is
>>> issued, or until the next "restart" command is
>> issued,
>>> or until the next time the OS reboots, or until
>> the
>>> next time asterisk and its config files are
>> deleted
>>> and reinstalled?
>> Correct.  Perhaps "never automatically" would be a
>> better choice of words.
> Wait, that was a multiple choice question: which
> option is the least-drastic sufficiently drastic
> option to force asterisk to retry?
> If a mere "reload" is sufficient, then the periodic
> test-and-reload which I suggested (which Andrew
> Kohlsmith correctly said is just a band-aid) would at
> least be an effective band-aid for the short term,
> until the actual cause of the DNS lookup failure is
> found and fixed. A proper fix is preferable, but a
> band-aid is better than nothing.

Any one of those will work.

> Of course if using IP
> address instead of hostname successfully avoids the
> problem, then that's a better band-aid, but only is
> practical if the host in question is not subject to
> having its IP address changed.

Only if BOTH hosts are on dynamic IPs.  If only one of them is on a
dynamic IP, then the dynamic one should be registering with the static
server.  This is why registration was invented.

--
Now accepting new clients in Birmingham, Atlanta, Huntsville,
Chattanooga, and Montgomery.