[Asterisk-Users] Compare to Skype

Richard Scobie r.scobie at clear.net.nz
Mon May 1 00:29:37 MST 2006

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:

> There are 2 issues here.
>
> 1) Asterisk does not have a RTP Jitter Buffer.    RTP is what is used to
> transport audio for SIP (and other protocols).  This means that ANY
> jitter on the SIP Phone -> Asterisk link will cause audio problems.

This is only an issue if your SIP phone has a poor/nonexistent jitter
buffer.

The ideal scenario from a latency point of view is for the end points to
handle jitter buffering. I use Polycom 500's with G711 over a path where
jitter can be quite severe on occasion and they handle it very well.

Although I have not tried them, one would expect Cisco's to work well also.

Regards,

Richard