[Asterisk-Users] internals and ISDN calls fail when Internet is down

amaury BOSSE a.bosse at courantmultimedia.fr
Thu Mar 30 09:58:14 MST 2006

Hello,

I have an * server configured with a voip provider and an ISDN BRI
backup line.

When Internet is down, internal SIP calls or ISDN calls fails.

I have analysed some internal sip traffic and asterisk doesn't answer
fast enough to phones.

It sends DNS queries to find voip provider IP but as Internet is down,
results are never returned.

I have tried to upgrade from * 1.0.9 to 1.2.5 without results.

I have also tried to install a DNS cache on my * box but after a moment,
internal calls fail.

Another problem with DNS cache is that cache is empty when I restart the
server.

Hardcoding IP in /etc/hosts works but it's not reliable if voip
provider's IP change.

Does someone already as a similar problem and resolved it?