[Asterisk-Users] Dumb question - reaching the PSTN

Jonathan k. Creasy jonathan at bluegrass.net
Thu Mar 30 06:48:18 MST 2006

This is not a dumb question.

Most of the other replies I have read mentioned various ways to connect
to the pstn. I wanted to mention why it makes sense to do that. Many of
the companies I have installed asterisk for didn't even have their
system on a network with a gateway. They have dedicated networks built
for the phones and the Asterisk server acts as a dhcp, ntp and ftp
server as well as the PBX. The only devices on the networks were phones.
They use it as a really nice phone system and use "old fashioned"
termination.

-Jonathan