[Asterisk-Users] Why would asterisk presume a loop (482 "Loop Detected")?

Peter J Dean peter.john.dean at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 01:43:24 MST 2006

We have a SNOM360 (ext 226) configured for redirection (away on
annual leave) to another SNOM360 (ext 225), being tested from a
SNOM320 (ext 227) which appears on the surface to be an easy adjustment.

Was receiving the following message,

	"Got SIP response 302 "Moved Temporarily" back from"

of which, I was able to understand and correct by adding the
following to the sip.conf file,

	"promiscredir    = yes"

Why would Asterisk-PBX get confused and assume a loop existed with
the redirection? It obviously understands that it needs to redirect
the call, and actually attempts to get it right and then gets it
horrible wrong, sending it to the wrong context.

     -- Got SIP response 302 "Moved Temporarily" back from 10.255.6.197
     -- Now forwarding SIP/227-cc31 to 'SIP/
225 at sip.bisabicara.swsa.com.au' (thanks to SIP/
226-94ec)			                <--- This is what I would expect to work
     -- Got SIP response 482 "Loop Detected" back from
10.255.6.2							                                                <---
Asterisk-PBX appears to be having a fit
     -- Now forwarding SIP/227-cc31 to 'Local/225 at from-sip-
unknown' (thanks to SIP/sip.bisabicara.swsa.com.au-e14f)	<--- And
drops the redirection into the wrong context.

So for argument sake, I add some additional extension commands to
permit the call to proceed, not that I would have thought it to be
necessary. And the redirection works. Not exactly a clean
redirection, and I would rather resolve the error messages and ensure
that it does call the correct context - assuming this is what
Asterisk-PBX should be capable of.

Any ideas? Is this the way it should occur or is Asterisk-PBX miss
behaving? Or do I have it all wrong?

Asterisk-PBX v1.2.6
SNOM's       v5.3.6