[Asterisk-Users] Realtime Users/Peers/Friends - Ick

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Wed Mar 29 22:45:43 MST 2006

I just tried setting all my phone's to type=peer.
Seems to break everything. I heard that type=friend was going to be phased out in upcoming releases of Asterisk. I sure hope the developers have thought this though.

Reason? Well our phones send calls to Asterisk through OpenSER. We have multiple OpenSER systems that the calls may hit Asterisk from. When I set all my phone accounts in my sip peers table to type=peer, Asterisk no longer matches against them, and instead matches against the OUTGOING OpenSER proxy entries (we place calls to the PSTN through OpenSER too). I guess it does this because it matches the source IP address of the INVITE against the host= value against the proxy in sip.conf.

Asterisk responds with:
--- (14 headers 14 lines)---
Using INVITE request as basis request - B9AC094A-98C7-4015-9989-8024E5BB62C5 at 192.168.1.101
Sending to xxx.187.142.205 : 5060 (non-NAT)
Found no matching peer or user for 'xxx.187.142.205:5060'

Bottom line is that incoming calls from phones through OpenSER no longer match against the individual phones accounts, but against the outgoing (they have PEER!) OpenSER proxy entries. Now that I think about it, why the heck do incoming calls match against a type=peer entry anyway? I thought a peer was for outgoing calls only???

Is this the way it's going to work in some future release of Asterisk?

Btw, I tried setting the phones to peer because I don't know what the frig I'm doing.

Doug