[Asterisk-Users] Re: AAH lost my IVR phrases

Tim Litwiller tim at litwiller.net
Wed Mar 29 19:44:54 MST 2006

Jim Hanlon wrote:
> The points I feel are confusing are:
>
>  1. The alterations to the config files made via AMP "Setup" pages are archived in the Asterisk DBMS, but changes made via the AMP "Maintenance" pages are not (Apparently. It's hard to be sure what the rules are). Such differences in behavior are arbitrary, and quite confusing to a novice Asterisk administrator.

Actually in AAH the Maintenance pages aren't part of AMP - AAH glues all
these other tools together and sometime they step on each others toes.
It is Asterisk that is the problem. It is that there are several
partially incompatible management layers in AAH.  If you know the rules
you can get around the incompatibilities - otherwise you have the
problems you've wrote about.

>  2. The changes made via the "Maintenance" pages work, at least for a while. And then, after some time passes, or some event occurs (which is it?), the archived entries simply overwrite the existing ones. No warning, no announcement. And no backup. This behavior again is arbitrary; I would much rather have a proposed change simply not work at all, rather than have it work for a time and then suddenly stop. In the former case, I can just keep experimenting; in the latter, I button things up with a sense of accomplishment, only to be chagrined a few days or weeks later.

They should stay until something asks AMP to redo it's config files.
Add a user or anything else and it will pull it's config from the
database and rewrite the asterisk config files based on what it knows
from the database.

So never edit a _additional file AMP uses those for it's database
managed configs
edit the  _custom file and your setting should stay.