[Asterisk-Users] Regulatory Ruling about Caller-ID

Justin Tunney jtunney at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 13:04:24 MST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:54:19 -0500, Matt <mhoppes at gmail.com> wrote:
> IE... Mary Smith seperates from Joe Smith... Joe Smith gets phone
> service and wants his CID to read 'Jane Smith', who is Mary's sister,
> so that Mary will answer when Joe calls.

I was always under the impression that the telcos stored the strings
associated with numbers in their own databases (or in your own cell
phone), thereby only allowing you to make your name appear to be "Jane
Smith" if you spoof your caller id to be the registered number of someone
whose name is actually "Jane Smith".