[Asterisk-Users] Receptionist Phones (was 3Com Phones)

Daniel Hazelbaker daniel at highdesertchurch.com
Mon Mar 27 12:18:10 MST 2006

We may end up using a software solution, but there are two main
issues with a software solution (for us at least):

1) For us in particular, our receptionists have ALWAYS (for the past
15 years at least) used a physical switchboard style for "routing"
and seeing availability.  From past hardware->software changes we
know that it will be very frustrating for them.  For us, it is much
more worth it to spend $1,000 to buy each of the two receptionists a
really nice phone that supports these features rather than get a
cheap software (though very nice) solution.

2) Having a software solution can cause grief and frustration to an
already overworked receptionist.  Just a few examples (these are not
as uncommon as one might think): User quits web browser after
finishing looking something up on-line, doesn't realize they just
closed out their switchboard until they need it and it is not there.
User "gets lost" trying to find the right window while trying to not
sound like an idiot to the person on the phone.  Computer has frozen,
or otherwise has problems, and must be rebooted.

I do like the look of Asternic, it is very "old-style" and easy to
get used to, but we would still prefer a hardware solution if
possible.  We may end up having to say, "sorry but you need to deal
with this for a while until some bugs in the system are resolved
(i.e. the 7 line problem), but as soon as a hardware solution is
available we will switch you back to it."  Hopefully we can find
something before we switch, but if not it is good to know that
software solutions are a viable alternative.