[Asterisk-Users] Tearing my hair out with Queues

Joe Dennick joe at dennick.net
Thu Mar 23 23:17:20 MST 2006

Queues don't process the dial-plan, period.  When you pass a call to a
queue, it's either going to be answered by an available agent, or stay
in the queue until the queue time-out has been reached.  As you have
already seen, the agent time-out value will automatically log out an
agent who doesn't answer a call within the time-out period.  Once that
happens, the queue tries the next available agent.  I've got the queue
time-out set to 0 (meaning it never times out) and the agent time-out
set to 20 (rings an agent for 20 seconds, which is usually about four
rings).  That way if there is a call in the queue, but no agents are
logged in, one can log in and take the call.  We use the Flash Operator
Panel to identify who is logged in, and how many calls are in the queue.

I have found, however that not using the agent time-out is bad because
the queue continues to send a caller to the same agent, even though that
agent isn't at his/her desk to answer the call.  Automatically logging
that agent out allows the call to be passed to the next available agent.