[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Users Mailing List Traffic

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Mar 23 08:44:59 MST 2006

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 15:07, John Novack wrote:
> Forums, perhaps.
> The  SUBJECT was " mailing list traffic, though. I know you want to
> change the subject, but  the discussion on traffic mentioned splitting
> off ( fill in the blank ) to another list, NOT list vs Forum.

Bah, I went off on a rant about forums when the rant should have been about
fragmenting the lists.  :-)

That too has been discussed and discounted, mostly because you will run into
the following situations and it'll actually drive UP traffic:

1) People not knowing it's a polycom/snom/cisco problem and posting to the
general list
2) People not caring and crossposting to ALL the lists, as happens now
3) The ensuing threads that discuss the problems of #1 and #2 above
4) The ensuing threads that discuss bringing everything together, or creating
forums to avoid these hassles
5) The ensuing threads that complain about #3 and #4 above

:-)

> Given the list isn't really moderated, except when those who aren't in
> favor post biz related issues, it isn't going to happen, but the subject
> WILL keep coming up from time to time.

Undoubtedly so.  I think we need canned answers to these types of questions...
When it comes up, a reply saying it's been discussed and pointing to a web
page containing the FAQ  giving details might help...  but probably not
because the discussion will get dragged out again.  :-)

-A.