[Asterisk-Users] Re: problems with emailing voicemail

hugolivude hugolivude at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 19:21:31 MST 2006

First off, thanks to all for your help.  I'm still not operational, so
I've decided that I'll have to _understand_ what's going on rather
than relying on a magic recipe; which isn't a bad thing I guess!

I believe that part of my problem is the fact that my static, external
IP address is not mapped to a hostname.  This explains why I keep trying to
use my IP address.  It seems to me that I will have to have a valid
hostname stored on some public DNS somewhere so that the external
email server (that's currently rejecting the mail) can validate it.
Do I have that right?  If so, I guess I should arrange for a new
sub-domain name, something like call.gesturetek.com and have that
mapped to my external IP address?  Also will I need to arrange port
forwarding of a mail port (port 25 I think) in order to ensure that
our external email server can validate the hostname?

If that's all right, then I need to ensure I understand what
/etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network are all about.  It seems to me
that the HOSTNAME entry in /etc/sysconfig/network defines a hostname
for the Linux box, so I may as well use the external DNS name -
call.gesturetek.com.  Now because Sendmail is sending from localhost,
I can simply map localhost 127.0.0.1 to the new DNS name
call.gesturetek.com so that Sendmail will use that instead.  There was
an entry for localhost.local domain in there already which I believe
caused all the problems in the first place, perhaps I should remove
that one and replace it with call.gesturetek.com?

The way I see it, I don't have to do anything with /etc/mail/access.
It contains:

localhost.localdomain   RELAY
localhost                     RELAY
127.0.0.1                    RELAY

Or perhaps I need to add an entry for call.gesturetek.com to be in
there as well?

Do I seem to be on the right track now?

Many Thanks,
Hugh