[Asterisk-Users] Dial plan question - exclamtion mark

Mike Hammett asterisk-users at ics-il.net
Wed Mar 22 09:00:16 MST 2006

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+Dialplan+Patterns

says:
========
   !          wildcard, matches zero or more characters immediately
              (only Asterisk 1.2 and later, see note)

Note: The exclamation mark wildcard, which is available only in Asterisk 1.2 and later, behaves specially - it will match as soon as can without waiting for the dialing to complete, but it will not match until it is unambiguous, and the number being dialed cannot match any other extension in the context. It was designed for use as follows, so that as soon as the digits dialed don't match '001800...' the outgoing telephone line will be picked up and overlap dialing will be used (with full audio feedback from 'earlyb3' etc.)

  Context "outgoing":
    Extension         Description
    _001800NXXXXXX    Free US calls made by VoIP
    _X!               Outgoing calls via normal telco, with overlap dial.
=========
So then can I have _!800NXXXXXX to match someone dialing 18005551212 and 8005551212?  If not, what could I do in this situation?

----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com