[Asterisk-Users] ADT/Brinks alarm dialing through Asterisk

Shane Young asterisk at ShaneYoung.com
Wed Mar 22 01:03:28 MST 2006

Quoting "Chris Mason (Lists)" <lists at masonc.com>:

> Lists wrote:
> >
> > I am hoping the alarm companies adopt quicker to the internet.
> >
> I don't see that happening. Internet reliability is not going to be
> sufficient for alarms. PSTN lines, for all their issues, don't fail, and
> alarm systems can sense the dial tone and alert if it is missing.
> I would not hold your breath waiting for a voip alarm protocol, but
> there are smtp and paging interfaces, would they suffice or are you
> looking for central station dialing over IP?

I have seen it happen.

Digital Monitoring Products http://www.dmp.com/ has an alarm panel called the XR500 which has an
option for connecting to the central station over IP *and* is UL listed.

It also has the ability to use a POTS line or cellular line as a backup.