[Asterisk-Users] How to make groups of extensions ???

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Mar 21 10:25:16 MST 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 12:07, Chuck Bunn wrote:
> I disagree that contexts are not for outgoing calls, how else do you
> restrict certain user to local calls only without using contexts?? On

Quite simply:  The SIP user has a 'context' field.  When a call comes *in* to
Asterisk from that SIP user, they get dumped into the specified context.

Contexts are for incoming calls, not outgoing.  You don't get to specify a
context on for a peer, only a user/friend.

> the subject of grouping extensions I use pickup groups so that any
> person can answer any phone in their immediate area by using a '*8' (as
> long as they belong to that group and they have the same context).

Yes absolutely.  That's for incoming though, the original poster was trying to
restrict which trunk lines each extension could access for outgoing calls.
This is done with 'group=#" and Dial(Zap/[gGrR]#) and a little dialplan
magic, or with something I'm not able to see which the other poster is
hinting at.

-A.