[Asterisk-Users] gsm picocells

James Harper james.harper at bendigoit.com.au
Sat Mar 18 04:16:27 MST 2006

> > > I believe the OP wants to use GSM handsets as extensions, like
running
> > > your own localized GSM network. That's not the same as using a GSM
> > > terminal to connect Asterisk to the cellular network.
> > Correct!
> > > IP Access makes such products.
> > > http://www.ipaccess.com/products/nanoBTS.htm
> > That looks about right. All problems of spectrum licensing etc
aside,
> > the product claims to use Ethernet as the wired access medium, but
> > appears to need to connect to a much meatier box as part of a
packaged
> > solution. The site doesn't seem to give much away, including price.
>
> That's the trouble with GSM, the cell (or picocell) is just part of
the
> infrastructure required. A cell is actually a BSC (basetation
> controller).
>
> BSC's are controlled by MSC's (Mobile switching centre), an MSC will
> control multiple BSCs and MSC talk to each other. We're in SS7 land
now.
> You also need an HLR (home location register), SMSC (if you want your
> users to do SMS) and then all the GPRS bits for MMS/data/etc.
>
> IP.Access's picocell uses IP backhaul so can be deployed easily in
> remote sites. They cost around GBP 2,000.

Ah. More complicated than I'd hoped but not more than I suspected :)

So the product that can accept gsm phone registrations and calls and
trunk them to asterisk via E1/TDMoE/TDMoIP/SIP/IAX is still wishware? Oh
well. I guess hybrid gsm/dect/wifi phones will reach maturity first
which is probably a better solution to the problem anyway.

Thanks for the info, if nothing else I'm now a little wiser on the
subject.

James