[Asterisk-Users] gsm picocells

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Sat Mar 18 03:45:30 MST 2006

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 04:49:53PM +1100, James Harper wrote:

> > I believe the OP wants to use GSM handsets as extensions, like running
> > your own localized GSM network. That's not the same as using a GSM
> > terminal to connect Asterisk to the cellular network.
> Correct!
> > IP Access makes such products.
> > http://www.ipaccess.com/products/nanoBTS.htm
> That looks about right. All problems of spectrum licensing etc aside,
> the product claims to use Ethernet as the wired access medium, but
> appears to need to connect to a much meatier box as part of a packaged
> solution. The site doesn't seem to give much away, including price.

That's the trouble with GSM, the cell (or picocell) is just part of the
infrastructure required. A cell is actually a BSC (basetation
controller).

BSC's are controlled by MSC's (Mobile switching centre), an MSC will
control multiple BSCs and MSC talk to each other. We're in SS7 land now.
You also need an HLR (home location register), SMSC (if you want your
users to do SMS) and then all the GPRS bits for MMS/data/etc.

IP.Access's picocell uses IP backhaul so can be deployed easily in
remote sites. They cost around GBP 2,000.

In the UK there are between 7 and 12 low power GSM national licenses
becoming available (in the old GSM/DECT guard bands). Need to get you
intent to bid into Ofcom (and payment) on the 21st b/n 10am a 5.30pm.

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com