[Asterisk-Users] Re: regexten

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Fri Mar 17 14:03:58 MST 2006

It's a function of both. When the phone sucessfully registers with an Asterisk system, it stops. The phone therefore only registers with a single Asterisk system, and the same problem still remains. The phone is only registered to one Asterisk system. If that Asterisk system goes down, none of the phones registered to that system can receive calls. However, if by some magic the phone _could_ send another registration, Asterisk would accept it. I've yet to see a phone however, that will send another registration if the first suceeds. Why would it?

> > There are phones that can have more than one "presence"
> (line). I have
> > never played with one, but I wonder if it is possible to get one to
> > register as the same extensions number on two different servers.
> >
> > > Is this really the best pure Asterisk HA solution that's out there
> > > right now? I think it needs a little work.
> >
> > I've been watching your trials and tribulations, and I
> wonder how often
> > you are expecting an Asterisk box to go down? I have some
> Asterisk boxes
> > and other Linux boxes with 200-300 days uptime.

It doesn't matter how often I expect them to go down. You have to plan for the worst. People are used to say, being unable to access a web page for a few minutes. Heck, they might not even notice. However, when someone's phone system goes down, you can bet your bottom dollar that they will notice pretty damn fast, and they expect it to always be working.