[Asterisk-Users] Dumb question (hang up detection/Zapata.conf)

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Fri Mar 17 01:25:58 MST 2006

On Mar 14, 2006, at 3:53 AM, artifex maximus wrote:

>> My asterisk system seems to have problems detecting hangups.  I am
>> getting a LOT of voicemails with dialtone or silence.
>>
>> I am using an external gateway (wellgate 3701a) and don't have zaptel
>> at all.
> I think your 3701a don't "understand" hangup tone (as our 3802 did and
> keep line busy after disconnect).
>
> You need training the device. We had recorded the busy tone and
> analyze with an audio editor (tone frequency and duration) and entered
> the configuration via telnet interface (I think web interface is good
> as well for this). And as a second chance we entered the values from
> the suggested pdf in indications.conf:
> http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/inr/forms/files/tones-0203.pdf

Thanks a lot for the helpful info...  I think.  I am still not clear on
where to configure this.

Are you saying that the "busy" tone is the tone used to force a hangup?
  I guess this makes sense,  but I guess I thought there might be a
special unique hangup tone(shows what I know).

Anyhow,  your information has driven me back to the documentation
(ouch) and I see that command line serial port configuration actually
has options that are not available at all through the web interface.

So tonight I hacked up a serial cable (for mac) and fired up a terminal
session on an old Powermac 9600 running 10.2.

This allows me to use the command line configuration,  which includes
both a polarity reversal option (sysconf -onhook 1) and also has a
method for actually recording and analyzing the "disconnect tone".  I
have enabled the polarity reversal option, and that looks good at
present.

So, thanks again for your insights into this device!  Any ideas on RFC
2833 DTMF issues I am having ?

  ;~)

Thanks,
Marty