[Asterisk-Users] RE: Clustering

JR Richardson jr.richardson at cox.net
Thu Mar 16 22:02:08 MST 2006

Hey Ron,

What you are referring to is totally dependant on the phone registration
time (read: the phone itself [manufacturer]).  I have Cisco phones that
re-register in 30 seconds regardless of original registration server
presence and I have Polycom phones that register every 5 min, only if the
original registration server is NOT there.

I have been fighting this issue but have not come up with a viable solution
just yet.  If I reduce the registration time, to say, 10 seconds, some
phones will not be able to do this (Polycom).  Others, like the Cisco will
initiate a lot of un-wanted network traffic every 10 seconds.

It's not so much an issue of when a server fails and the phone can not make
outbound calls, the phone will immediately send traffic to a backup proxy if
a user wants to make a call during the registration cycle and server failure
as long as the phone has a backup proxy specified.  The real issue is when a
registration server fails, inbound calls to any phone registered on the
server will not be processed (maybe voicemail) until the phones re-register
to another registration server and their route becomes available within the
cluster again.

I have not tried SER, only because a lot of my clients use IAX and this
network will be complicated enough without having to manage 2 different
registration systems, SER for SIP and Asterisk for IAX.  I will pound this
issue until I find the answer or realize it just can not be done with
Asterisk.

I am struggling with this but would like suggestions.

JR

  _____