[Asterisk-Users] G.729 codec licencing

Francesco Peeters (Asterisk) francesco at fampeeters.com
Thu Mar 16 15:08:50 MST 2006

On Thu, March 16, 2006 22:38, rnacharya said:
> Hi..,
>
>     we have two asterisk server interconnected to each other through IAX2
> trunk in two separate office.
> with this bellow configuration do we need to have Licensing for using G729
> codec????
>
> Office A --------T1 ----- Astrisk
> TE05P----------------IAX2----------------Astrisk Box -2
>                                        EPBX-1
>                 EPBX-2
>                                    Telephone
>             Telephone
>

> Thanks.
> Rudra.

Your information is too summary to be able to tell...

If EPBX-1 and -2 do G729, and the (*) servers only pass it, then you won't
need additional licenses. Unless the (*) servers need to handle voicemail
from either side.

If the (*) servers have to transcode from any other codec *OR* from analog
or ISDN (uLaw/aLaw) then you'll need licenses allright...

Your best bet may be to contact Digium and give them all the details they
need to determine the correct # of licenses...

Good luck!

--
F Peeters
  PIII 450 - 1 GB - * 1.2 - BRIstuff 0.3.0 Pre 1 - Florz patch