[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk select outbound trunk based on minutes used per month??

Steve Jones sjones at ftdata.com
Thu Mar 16 13:42:50 MST 2006

I have asterisk at my home, which I have typically been using about 600 minutes outbound per month, over Vonage.  I also have an old copper POTS from Verizon, which I only use for 7 digit and 800# dialing, as well as inbound.

I am interested in setting up one or more SIP or IAX providers.  Mostly for the experience of setting this stuff up for use with asterisk, but also partly to save money, and perhaps have a little redundancy by having more distinct providers...

My thought was to get a telepacket account, which costs 99 cents per month, including the first 100 minutes inbound and outbound.  If I did this, I could probably reduce my Vonage from unlimited to the 500 minute plan, which would net me $9/mo in savings, but the trick is, I would want the calling logic to keep track of my minutes, and either switch preferred providers at or around the 100 minute mark (obviously not cut me off in the middle of a call), or maybe have a way to program in a "trunk weight" in that the Vonage trunk would be chosen first for 5/6 of the calls, and the other trunk would be picked first priority for 1/6 of the calls...  Is this possible, and if so, is it possible to take into  consideration the minutes per month, or would it just be a per-call thing?

If it matters, I'm using AAH...   [will be upgraded to the latest this weekend, but is currently 2 minor revs back!]

-Steve