[Asterisk-Users] Feedback from VON expo! Info on * HA and Polycom phone!!

asterisk at anime.net asterisk at anime.net
Thu Mar 16 12:41:38 MST 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Gabriel Afana wrote:
>   I also spoke with Polycom guys a great deal and asked many questions:
>   Q:  What is the "services" button ever used for?
>   A:  This is only operable in the 601 and is used to launch the XML
> browser.  We have partned with many companies to offer you sports, weather,
> stock, movie ticket info...etc that can be fed directly to the phones screen.

A: "we're too dumb to implement xml on the 501"

Cisco offers xml across its entire line of phones, even on ones with
screens much smaller than polycom's.

This stupid marketing decision by polycom to deliberately omit xml support
on the 501 is driving people to cisco, aastra and snom instead. Instead of
a lesser $169.95 sale, it is a big fat $0.00.

>   Q:  What the deal with the limit on the number of people you can monitor
> for presence?
>   A:  There is no limit in the phone.  This is an Asterisk limitation.

BS. Polycom even stated it's a polycom limitation which will be fixed in
the next firmware release (polycom is increasing the limit from 7 to 48 iirc).

>   I am sure there were many things I left out or forgot to say.  If I
> remember, I'll be sure to post them.

How about

Q: When will polycom discover this new fangled invention called a "backlight"?

-Dan