[Asterisk-Users] Cannot load wcfxo -- Please help!

Phil Freed url-asterisk at freed.com
Tue Mar 14 08:49:45 MST 2006

At 11:32 AM 3/13/2006, John Daragon wrote:
>Phil Freed wrote:
> > I'm afraid that I am at a loss here.  I am new to Asterisk, and have
> > successfully set up SIP.  But I cannot get my FXS card working, and I'm
> > not sure what else I can try.
> >
> > # modprobe wcfxo
> >
> > /lib/modules/2.4.21-37.0.1.ELsmp/misc/wcfxo.o: init_module: No such device
>
>IIRC, wcfxo is the driver for the X100P card. The 4 port analog card's
>driver used to be called wcfxs. but that led to the sort of confusion
>you're experiencing, so it was renamed to wctdm.

Thank you for your response.  It's a big help to know where _not_ to
look.  It turns out that the answer was right in front of me:

The system was purchased with the Digium card already installed; I assumed
it was installed correctly.  And I had no documentation to go with it, so I
had no idea that FXS was never going to work without a 12v source connected
to the card.  (It makes sense, of course, but I never thought about it.)

So the answer was:  If all else fails, plug it in. :-)